Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday's Recipe

Wow, we've had a busy couple of weeks. We had grandma come for a visit, took a trip down to Savannah, and enjoyed some fun in the sun. I've also reached a birthday milestone...



Something I really was not looking forward to, but it came and went and all is well. We've had a lot of fun this summer, but school starts in just a couple of weeks, August 5th to be exact. I don't think any of us are ready, but it will be nice to be back on a schedule. I hope to get back on a blogging schedule as well. I seem to have lost track of time these last few weeks.

We have made a lot of good eats and enjoyed many more along the way...



One of our very favorites comes from The Candy Kitchen on River Street in Savannah...



No, it's not candied apples...but they look so good, don't they?!



Yes, it is their pralines...they are like no other. I swear I'm going to try and make them this holiday season, because I've eaten enough to last me at-least until then.

So in honor of my pounds of pralines I consumed, here is a recipe to enjoy and hopefully master the art of praline making.



Pralines are candies made of nuts and sugar. Here in the deep South, pecans are often at a surplus, so pecan pralines are popular. You will find recipes at the links on the right-hand side of the page, but whatever the recipe, you’ll need to cook candy to a “soft ball stage” before adding the pecans. When you drizzle a bit of candy into a cup of cold water, it should form a soft ball which does not hold shape. The candy should flatten out between your fingers.



Easy Pecan Pralines

2 cups firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup milk

2 cups pecan halves

Combine sugars and milk. Cook over low heat to soft ball stage (240°). Beat until almost cool. Add pecans. Drop by tablespoon onto waxed paper. Flatten and allow to cool and harden slightly. Yields two dozen.

ENJOY!

This weeks recipe can be found at our-favorite-southern-candy.com

No comments: