Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday's Recipe

I have several recipes that seem to turn out different every time I make them, and chili is one of them. I search for different recipes, because each time I am told, "I'm going to find you a good chili recipe, and you can make it."
Well, for the 1st time in 19 years, I have found a chili recipe that I was told to keep! So, I thought I'd share my triumphant find with you on our Friday's recipe. I altered it a little bit according to my family's taste. I will list those changes below next to the ***.



Black Bean and Corn Chicken Chili

Toasting chili powder, cumin and garlic powder intensifies their flavor, making this chili a rich, hearty meal in a bowl.

Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
4 teaspoons McCormick® Chili Powder
2 teaspoons McCormick® Cumin, Ground
1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) great Northern beans, undrained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.

2. Heat small nonstick skillet on medium heat 2 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and garlic; toast 30 seconds or until aromatic, stirring constantly. Add to chicken mixture.

3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:

per serving
Calories: 218
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Cholesterol: 37 mg
Sodium: 609 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 20 g

***Changes I made***
used beef broth instead of red wine
used ground beef instead of chicken
did not add corn
added a few shakes of white pepper
cooked onion in olive oil with ground beef
used McCormick chili seasoning envelope instead of just a tsp.

This recipe can be found at: http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Black-Bean-and-Corn-Chicken-Chili.aspx

We didn't have leftovers...darn!

ENJOY!

No comments: